One of the saddest misconceptions of doula support today is that it’s a service only available for the well-to-do. This frustrates birthworkers like me, because we are so passionate about our work and that everyone deserves to have our services.
So here are some tips to try when looking for a doula to accompany you through your next journey to parenthood:
- Ask if your doula/doula agency has a payment plan
- Or, if your doula has a sliding fee scale based on income
- If you can’t afford most full-fee doulas, ask the certifying agencies such as DONA, CAPPA, or ProDoula for local contacts that may have names of recently trained doulas working toward their certifications. These doulas usually charge much less as they learn the trade, and are a wonderful low-fee option
- Check if your flex saving account (FSA) or health savings account (HSA) covers the purchase of doula support (some do!)
- Have an online baby registry? Try listing doula support on it!
- Ask if your doula offers gift certificates, should a friend or family member be able to gift his or her services to you
Looking to inquire about doula services?
Contact me by clicking on the envelope below.
Let’s work together to make doula support possible for you.